At The Bengal Connection, our priority is to encourage and promote good ethical breeding. The TBC Certification program recognizes breeders who proactively health test their cats and who have demonstrated their desire to put their cats’ well-beings first.
Each breeder who is TBC Certified has been manually reviewed for the following requirements:
1. Agrees to the TBC Code of Ethics
- In all things, I strive to put my cats’ well-being at the forefront of my program.
- I breed discriminately, and only if I can find appropriate homes for my kittens.
- I guarantee that the kitten/cat is in good health at the time of sale and will urge the purchaser to have the kitten/cat examined by the purchaser’s own veterinarian within a few days of purchase to confirm its good health.
- I explain to the purchaser the dangers of an outdoor environment.
- I provide a written sales agreement that describes all the terms of the sale. I abide by my own sales agreement.
- I take personal responsibility to ensure my kittens sold as pets will be spayed/neutered; whether this is done prior to leaving my care or verified with written evidence from a licensed veterinarian that the kitten has been altered no later than 12 months of age.
- I will complete age appropriate inoculations against the following: Panleukopenia, Feline Rhinotracheitis, and Calicivirus.
- I will provide the purchasers with a reasonable amount of support as needed following the sale of my kittens.
- I feed all of my cats what I believe to be the very best diet I can afford.
- I strive for a healthy, safe, and enriching environment for every cat in my care. Proactive sanitary measures are taken and environmental illnesses are dealt with in an effective manner. No cat in my care is kept in an unsuitable housing situation such as a small cage.
2. Has an appropriate “Going Home Age”
Why? Kittens that are weaned too early are prone to lifelong behavior issues, including fear and aggression. We confirm that breeders do not allow their kittens to go home before 12 weeks of age.
3. Proactively screens for HCM
Why? HCM is a devastating disease that causes heart failure. By regularly screening our breeders and their parents, we can work to reduce the prevalence of this disease within the breed. We confirm TBC Certified breeders complete this testing.
4. Tests for PRA-b
Why? PRA-b is genetic condition that causes blindness. We confirm TBC Certified breeders complete this testing.
5. Tests for PK-Def
Why? PK-Def is genetic condition that causes anemia and other blood-related issues. We confirm TBC Certified breeders complete this testing.
Are you a breeder? Click here to learn more about TBC Certification